jlrogers

Default Orestralia Invades and Occupies Solomon Islands

Solomon Islanders feeling uneasy
Wednesday 23 July 2003, 6:05 AM

Former militants in the Solomon Islands were becoming uneasy as the bulk
of an Australian-led intervention force prepared to fly to the
strife-torn nation, police said.

Royal Solomon Islands Police Commissioner William Morrell said he was
trying to calm the locals before most of the police and military force
arrived on Wednesday.

"I think many of the ex-militants are concerned about the potential
intervention and one of the things I'm trying to do is reassure them,"
Mr Morrell told reporters.

"My view is we will not see many arrests in the first few days."

Australian Federal Police (AFP) Commissioner Mick Keelty said Australian
police who were finalising preparations in Townsville had experience in
East Timor, Bougainville

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...853098708.html

Peter Wiley

I used to work there until the civil war started. Most of the locals
want us there because we're not members of one group (onetok) or
another. It may have escaped your attention, but IIRC the Govt vote to
ask us in was *unanimous*.

The Solomons was a nice place and could be one again. Even now, most
of the trouble is on Guadalcanal & Malaita, mainly in Honiara (the
capital). The western provinces are quiet and the sailing/diving is
superb. I've dived on WW2 wrecks in 60m visibility. It doesn't get
much better, anywhere.

Feel free to pontificate all you like from a distance, but I've
actually been there and know the place.

Peter Wiley

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 01:16:54 GMT, "jlrogers" wrote:

[...]

Steve Thomas

There was a piece on the television news tonight about 20 captured bottle
nose dolphins being shipped from there to some tourist attraction in
Florida. The main bit to the story seemed to be that the press was forcibly
kept at a distance from the airport by police.

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
[...]

larry flint a.k.a lawrence stone

No Jeff Rense.

Go to http://www.rense.com and listen to his show live from 10p to 1a
M-F over the net. He is on 100 AM stations and is in my market in
Penns woods but I doubt you will find him on the air in the bible
thumping state of FLA.

Check out the political stuff at http://www.rense.com/wtcsplshpage.htm

Plus all his past shows are archived at
http://www.soundwaves2000.com/rense/

But beware it might be too left wing for your tastes.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:26:41 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Working for George Nuree now?

"larry flint a.k.a lawrence stone" wrote in message ...
THE GIANTS
OF
THE SOLOMON ISLANDS
AND