Horvath

Default Foul Weather Sailing

On 8 Jul 2003 21:29:35 -0700, (Greg Bossert)
wrote this crap:

I have been sailing for the last 5 summers but just had my first foul
weather experience. I sail in a Cape Dory Typhoon out of NorthEast in
the Chesapeake and sometimes Frenchman's Bay in ME. The boat has no
outboard and I had a one member crew with very little sailing
experience. I was about 2 hours upwind when an unexpected (and
unforcasted) storm moved through. My question is, what steps should I
have taken when I knew that it was inevitable that I would be caught
in foul weather? There were very high/gusty winds (probably
30-35mph+), heavy rain and ligntning all around.

I live for that.

I made my way as
close to shore as I thought possible without grounding but still felt
very uncomfortable about the lightning. I droped the sails when the
high winds hit and then tried to sail under the jib alone but was
still healed over with the rail burried and the gusts would just push
the bow downwind. I considered dropping anchor but had trouble with
the rhode. When I got to the point when I felt that we were in danger
of taking on heavy water I flagged down a passing pontoon boat and got
a tow back to the harbor. Does anyone have advise on handling very
high/gusty winds (strong enough to knock her down) and lightning?

Yes. Of course. I've been in much worse.

Would I have been better off pulling down the sails and anchoring
until the weather moved through?

Don't even think of anchoring, unless you're in a protected area.

Would reefing the main and dropping
the jib be a better choice than flying the jib alone?

Can you double-reef? Can you change jibs?

Your experience
is appreciated by a now slightly weathered guy!

Yes. I know.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Beers!
Jonathan Ganz

Don't listen to Hero. He's a dolt.

If you can see it coming and have time, reef down as much
as you're able. You want some sail up, so you can hold a
course. You need to stay away from the shore. The boat is
going to be better off in deep water rather than on the rocks.
There's not much you can do about preventing a lightning strike.
Suggestion: Don't kiss the mast. Stay away from metal/electonics.
I'd leave up the main if at all possible. Reduce the jib size also.
Don't try to anchor. All you'll do is trash either yourself or the
boat. Keep sailing. It's better than running aground. Deep water
is your friend. If you have time, get the boat prepared by stowing
anything that can come loose, above or below decks. Have
seasick prevention medicine and hand it out and take it yourself.
Get into your foulies and have the crew do the same. Prepare
them mentally for what's going to happen. You're the skipper
and you have to keep the crew as calm as possible, which means
you have to behave calmly. You could also call the CG on 16
and advise them of your position if you really think you might not
be able to handle it. They will then keep track of you and might
decide to ask for assistance on your behalf if they think it's necessary.

Now that you've done it, what do you think you should have done
differently? Remember, it's better to wish you were sailing than
wish you weren't, but don't be afraid of the wind. The wind is your
friend.

"Greg Bossert" wrote in message
om...
I have been sailing for the last 5 summers but just had my first foul
weather experience. I sail in a Cape Dory Typhoon out of NorthEast in
the Chesapeake and sometimes Frenchman's Bay in ME. The boat has no
outboard and I had a one member crew with very little sailing
experience. I was about 2 hours upwind when an unexpected (and
unforcasted) storm moved through. My question is, what steps should I
have taken when I knew that it was inevitable that I would be caught
in foul weather? There were very high/gusty winds (probably
30-35mph+), heavy rain and ligntning all around. I made my way as
close to shore as I thought possible without grounding but still felt
very uncomfortable about the lightning. I droped the sails when the
high winds hit and then tried to sail under the jib alone but was
still healed over with the rail burried and the gusts would just push
the bow downwind. I considered dropping anchor but had trouble with
the rhode. When I got to the point when I felt that we were in danger
of taking on heavy water I flagged down a passing pontoon boat and got
a tow back to the harbor. Does anyone have advise on handling very
high/gusty winds (strong enough to knock her down) and lightning?
Would I have been better off pulling down the sails and anchoring
until the weather moved through? Would reefing the main and dropping
the jib be a better choice than flying the jib alone? Your experience
is appreciated by a now slightly weathered guy!

katysails

My question is, what steps should I

have taken when I knew that it was inevitable that I would be caught
in foul weather?

I feel very qualified to answer this question, since every time we take a vacation it seems the heavy weather raises its' head,
as can be attested to bypast posts.

There were very high/gusty winds (probably

30-35mph+), heavy rain and ligntning all around.

These are not insurmountable conditions. Rough, tough and can be scary, but not anything you can't learn to live with.

I made my way as

close to shore as I thought possible without grounding

First mistake....especially without an auxilliary...the wind could have forced you ashore and to grounding with a shift and most
times the wave and surge action of the surf is more confused in the near coastal water...stay off the land

but still felt
very uncomfortable about the lightning.

That's reasonable...not much you can do about it, though...pray?

I droped the sails when the

high winds hit and then tried to sail under the jib alone but was
still healed over with the rail burried and the gusts would just push
the bow downwind.

2nd big mistake...you shifted the balance of power on your boat. Our formula: Shorten jib, then reef, then drop jib. Bare
poles just makes you a bobber in a frisky sea.

I considered dropping anchor but had trouble with

the rhode.

So you can become a tied down bobber thrashing against the anchor? Very unpleasant.

When I got to the point when I felt that we were in danger

of taking on heavy water I flagged down a passing pontoon boat and got
a tow back to the harbor.

For shame. If a pontoon boat was able to manuever, the conditions were not bad enough that you shouldn't have been able to
figure out how to sail out of it.

Does anyone have advise on handling very
high/gusty winds (strong enough to knock her down) and lightning?

Shorten, reef, throw out a drogue (a bucket on a line will even work) Lightning? It's its' own entity. Nothing you can do
about it.

Would I have been better off pulling down the sails and anchoring

until the weather moved through?

NO

Would reefing the main and dropping

the jib be a better choice than flying the jib alone?

ALWAYS

Your experience

is appreciated by a now slightly weathered guy!

You have gone out and bought a good set of foulies since, I hope.
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Pony Express

First, the comments about deep water don't apply to you if you're sailing in
the Northern Chesapeake. But, certainly stay away from the flats.
30-35mph (25-30k), while it can be unsettling for a small boat, should not
be dangerous. The good thing about our summer thunderstorms is that they
generally don't last very long.
Reef your main and put up a storm jib (don't have one? Maybe worth the
investment).
The best thing is that you made it through and seem willing to go and try it
again. Every time you try sailing in heavy weather, it builds your skills
and makes you a little more prepared for the next time.
--
----
Steve

[...]

Jeff Morris

You've already received some good advice, especially from Katy. There's a few points I'd
emphasize: the Typhoon is one tough boat - it should be capable of handling 40+ knots,
even more if its properly set up. However, it is a tender boat and being rail down is not
uncommon. A more important sign is that the helm is overpowered. The boat will stay
better balanced under a double reef than jib alone.

Also, the Typhoon will not do well clawing off a lee shore in nasty conditions - stay far
enough off so that you don't feel you're dodging the rocks.

BTW, did you mean "Northeast in Mt Desert," or do you haul the boat from MD to ME?

-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup at the
deli."

[...]

news.magpage.com

Jeff,

Thanks for the advise. I did feel afterward that I could have handled the
weather but after 1 hour of nothing going as I planned I figured that I
would ask for help. Now I feel like I have the knowledge to handle it next
time.

The CD Typhoon was kept at Hancock Point, ME for the last 8 years. My
father and step-grandfather bought her as a means to get to know one
another. My step-grandfather was an accomplished sailor and taught both
myself and my father the fundamentals but we never had any experience in
foul weather. She hadn't been in the water for the last 3 years. This
winter my father and I brought her down to NJ to recondition her. Now she
resides at Hances Point in Northeast, Chesapeake.

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
news
[...]

Capt. Mooron

Greg... I commend your practice of no auxiliary... congratulations. The
standard practice for a full keeler is always 1]- Reef the Main ; 2] Reef
the Main ; 3] Reef the Main..... after that reef your drive sail... the jib.
A main alone on a full keeler is not recommended in high winds. A jib alone
on a full keeler in gusty winds is a No No! The sails work better in unison.
In gusty winds I find that you need to acquire a mindset that you are in
this for the long run and the prime consideration is keeping a proactive
attitude and an eye open for the approaching gusts. I would have put one
crew on the jib sheet and myself on the main sheet to ease the sheets and
maintain direction as the gusts hit. Only experience will teach you...

Questions... you claimed to have sailed "upwind" so I assumed your home
destination was downwind? .... you didn't give us the jib size.... roller
furling? How many reefs do you have in the main?

Your vessel should be able to easily undertake sailing in 35 knots with
sails reefed and a 110 jib. There is nothing you can do about lightening
strikes. I would strongly suggest a third reef in the main. Use it and you
will be surprised as to how effective it actually is.

I doubt you need a tow.... it seems the weather overwhelmed you. Use the
wind don't fear it.

CM