Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Horvath

Default Foul Weather Sailing

On 8 Jul 2003 21:29:35 -0700, (Greg Bossert)
wrote this crap:

I have been sailing for the last 5 summers but just had my first foul
weather experience. I sail in a Cape Dory Typhoon out of NorthEast in
the Chesapeake and sometimes Frenchman's Bay in ME. The boat has no
outboard and I had a one member crew with very little sailing
experience. I was about 2 hours upwind when an unexpected (and
unforcasted) storm moved through. My question is, what steps should I
have taken when I knew that it was inevitable that I would be caught
in foul weather? There were very high/gusty winds (probably
30-35mph+), heavy rain and ligntning all around.

I live for that.

I made my way as
close to shore as I thought possible without grounding but still felt
very uncomfortable about the lightning. I droped the sails when the
high winds hit and then tried to sail under the jib alone but was
still healed over with the rail burried and the gusts would just push
the bow downwind. I considered dropping anchor but had trouble with
the rhode. When I got to the point when I felt that we were in danger
of taking on heavy water I flagged down a passing pontoon boat and got
a tow back to the harbor. Does anyone have advise on handling very
high/gusty winds (strong enough to knock her down) and lightning?

Yes. Of course. I've been in much worse.

Would I have been better off pulling down the sails and anchoring
until the weather moved through?

Don't even think of anchoring, unless you're in a protected area.

Would reefing the main and dropping
the jib be a better choice than flying the jib alone?

Can you double-reef? Can you change jibs?

Your experience
is appreciated by a now slightly weathered guy!

Yes. I know.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Beers!