katysails

Default Foul Weather Sailing

with a virtual sign that
says, "Hey lightning, over here! pick me!"
Scout

I have been nearly struck 3 times...thrown to the ground once...I figure my odds are lessening with each storm I'm out in (out
in? what a strange expression to use...) It's a far better way to go than some...far more preferable to 2 years of chemo or
being on a respirator....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Scout

Same thing happened to me, only it was in a biker bar in Philly : )
Scout

"katysails" wrote
I have been nearly struck 3 times...thrown to the ground once...

Scout

I actually only lost one fight, and that was because I slipped running
around the corner.
Scout

"Oz1" wrote
Once?
Jeez, you've lived a sheltered life, I've had my arse kicked more
times than I like to remember.

Flying Tadpole

I don't. I'm always tethered to a boat with full positive
buoyancy. I did start to wonder whether to stick one on Sunday
last, though. Especially when I mistimed a tack and the horizon
appeared under the bow, followed by shipping it brown over the
deck...

FT

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

You should have them on at all times while underway anyway.....

CM

"Njord" wrote in message
| No one mentioned it yet, but I think it would be a good idea to don life
| jackets. Hopefully, you won't need them, but it is better to put them on
and
| not need them then to not put them on an wish you had. If you have the
room,
| you might also consider coming off the wind on a beam or broad reach to
| reduce the apparent wind.
|
| --
|
| Njord
|
| I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
| Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
| And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
| And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
|
| From Sea-Fever by John Masefield

The_navigator_©

Try taking the 'kick me' sign off?

Cheers MC

Oz1 wrote:

Jeez, you've lived a sheltered life, I've had my arse kicked more
times than I like to remember.

Flying Tadpole

The navigator © wrote:

Are you saying the boat has bouyancy or do you?

The boat. I'm not in LIS, remember.

You **** yourself over a
missed tack? You should try relaxing more. Chill out. Sailing is fun...

Ha. I'm sure I would have seen the change on my yellow foulies.
The wind then was 40kn, middle of a squall, and I was trying out
to windward using just the ultimate 3-reefed main, no mizzen. I
missed one tack, got cross with myself and wrathfully fell off a
bit, then whipped her round without bothering to look at what was
coming. Doing a whale breach or for that matter actually
shipping it brown (remember, I do not have blue or green water)
over the actual deck on the way down was not something I ever
expected to be doing in a 30ft ballasted sailboat in a 12 foot
deep lake with a normal maximum 5 foot wave. Serves me right for
not looking and not letting that set go by before tacking her

Flying Tadpole

Cheers MC

Flying Tadpole wrote:

I don't. I'm always tethered to a boat with full positive
buoyancy. I did start to wonder whether to stick one on Sunday
last, though. Especially when I mistimed a tack and the horizon
appeared under the bow, followed by shipping it brown over the
deck...

FT

Flying Tadpole

Yawn.
(1) If you don't remember the colour of my pond, revisit the
website.
(2) I have never shipped a wave actually over the deck before on
that lake in that boat. yes, the spa-bath in the bow well is
great and exciting and all that, but solid past the mast? not in
the usual lake waves.

FT

Oz1 wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:27:45 +0930, Flying Tadpole
wrote:

I don't. I'm always tethered to a boat with full positive
buoyancy. I did start to wonder whether to stick one on Sunday
last, though. Especially when I mistimed a tack and the horizon
appeared under the bow, followed by shipping it brown over the
deck...

FT

Jeez not that tired old tale again.....

Funny init, most sailors talk about taking a greenie over the bow.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Flying Tadpole

Oz1 wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:52:05 +1200, The_navigator_©
wrote:

So the tub tripped on a mud bank?

Cheers MC

Ohhhh OUCH!!!
Youll get slapped in the face with a wet mud skipper for that one!

Now why should I do that? I'm now a milder, gentler person, and I
_do_ recognise the_navigator's reading and comprehension
difficulties. Besides, if he doesn't realise by now that my
cruising grounds are one big mudbank, there's no point in
continuing with his education, is there?

And anyway, all one can do is carp.

Flying Tadpole
Capt. Mooron

The beauty of sailing in a shallow pond is the option to walk home if the
boat sinks.....

CM

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message
| I don't. I'm always tethered to a boat with full positive
| buoyancy. I did start to wonder whether to stick one on Sunday
| last, though. Especially when I mistimed a tack and the horizon
| appeared under the bow, followed by shipping it brown over the
| deck...
|
| FT
|
| "Capt. Mooron" wrote:
|
| You should have them on at all times while underway anyway.....
|
| CM
|
| "Njord" wrote in message
| | No one mentioned it yet, but I think it would be a good idea to don
life
| | jackets. Hopefully, you won't need them, but it is better to put them
on
| and
| | not need them then to not put them on an wish you had. If you have the
| room,
| | you might also consider coming off the wind on a beam or broad reach
| | reduce the apparent wind.
| |
| | --
| |