Jeff Morris

Default Aswell as buying it I would actually quite like to learn to sail it!!!!!!!!

I don't mind the cross post that much - but you could set your clock to the right time.

"Daniel Thompson" wrote in message

"TopCat" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:20:03 -0700, "Daniel Thompson"
wrote:

Is this insane?

I have some experience in dinghy sailing and do indeed have a
qualification - whoopee - in this area.

I have spent a lot of my youth on yachts - generally my Grandad's 32 foot
Westerly - but have not, until now, taken as much interest as my brother,
and do not have a proverbial 'scoobie' when it comes to maps and charts.

I do however have £25000 and a moderate and mobile income.

I will not be single for the rest of my life.

I will not have zero commitment for a two year period at any other time

in
my life.

I do not want to waste a year cow-towing to some jumped up lilttle Hitler
and his crew of merry - force you to do the bad jobs - men.

This is why I want my own yacht and why I want it now.

Do you think it is realistic to expect to find a personally compatible
Yachtmaster with a high degree of experience who would be prepared to

spend
six months teaching me to sail my boat.

The destinations on this escapade could be decided by means of a vote - I
would have the final decision of course - Hitler in effect perhaps!

Daniel.

---

First off please do not cross post, it is bad practice, many people
have filters on cross posted posts so you already have cut the number
of responses to this question.

If you have experience of dinghy sailing, and experience crewing your
grandfathers boat, 6 months training is highly unlikely to be
required.

Navigation can be learned shore side and there are many schools who
will offer you this service. If you feel better take along an
experienced skipper for a few trips, then start taking her out
yourself, build up you trips in stages.

Your dinghy experience has taught you boat handling and how to sail,
you just need to transfer you skills upward now, to be fair this in my
opinion is the easier way round, someone with no dinghy experience
would probably need help on their first trips in a dinghy.

Buy it, do some navigation training, it is not that difficult really,
and start sailing, there is no law that says your first season must be
littered with extended cruises, sail around the harbour mouth until
you feel confident in venturing further.

Do it in you time, you will learn far more than trying to transfer
someone elses experience into your own.

Fair Winds.......
Julian

http://www.topcatsail.co.uk

No more cross posting for me.

Thanks for the confidence building Julian!

---

Jeff Morris

I'm guessing you don't understand your own computer.

This message shows on my system as having been posted at 9:35 PM EDT - 5 hours from now.

The header reads:
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:35:16 -0700
Which means that your local time is 6:35 PM, and your time zone is PDT, or Pacific
Daylight Savings. In other words, this time has not occurred yet.

Perhaps you should master telling time before you try navigation.

-jeff

"Daniel Thompson" wrote in message
My clock *is* set to the right time. I'm guessing you haven't quite
understood the concept of timezones: -0700?

wrote:

[...]

Jeff Morris

Mike - your clock is wrong also - I was giving you a break since you've crossed so many
time zones lately. Everyone else is showing correctly.

I normally don't care much about this stuff, but I usually display newsgroups in order of
time posted, not by threads. If your date is early, your message sits on the top for a
while; if you're late, you show way down on the list and I often don't see it. Donal's
posts have a different problem - his clock seems to be right, but his posts take a few
hours to cross the pond.

-jeff

Mine is 5:15AM on the 27th

wrote:

[...]

Ken Fowler

--
Remove"nospamplease" to e-mail me
"Daniel Thompson" wrote in message
Is this insane?

I have some experience in dinghy sailing and do indeed have a
qualification - whoopee - in this area.

I have spent a lot of my youth on yachts - generally my Grandad's 32 foot
Westerly - but have not, until now, taken as much interest as my brother,
and do not have a proverbial 'scoobie' when it comes to maps and charts.

I went on a flotilla sailing holiday many years ago as an experienced dinghy
sailor in a mixed group of young singles. The appointed skipper in the party
who was qualified turned out to be only just about capable of sailing the
boat, so don't put down your experience, I had no trouble sailing the yacht.
The only issue is navigation and with the advent of satellite positioning
must be a doddle these days.

Jeff Morris

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:02:07 -0700

I can believe in the Far East its Friday morning now, but the timezone should be something
like +11, not -7, which is PDT. It looks like you changed the clock but not the timezone.

"Michael" wrote in message
It should be right now. I noticed that and made the change when the thread
started. Aren't these supposed to convert automatically when you hook up to
a new local system?

Michael

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
Mike - your clock is wrong also - I was giving you a break since you've

crossed so many
time zones lately. Everyone else is showing correctly.

I normally don't care much about this stuff, but I usually display

newsgroups in order of
time posted, not by threads. If your date is early, your message sits on

the top for a
while; if you're late, you show way down on the list and I often don't see

it. Donal's
posts have a different problem - his clock seems to be right, but his

posts take a few
hours to cross the pond.

-jeff

Mine is 5:15AM on the 27th

wrote:

[...]

18/06/2003

[...]

Jeff Morris

And all this time I thought you had the world's worst ISP!

"Donal" wrote in message

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
Mike - your clock is wrong also - I was giving you a break since you've

crossed so many
time zones lately. Everyone else is showing correctly.

I normally don't care much about this stuff, but I usually display

newsgroups in order of
time posted, not by threads. If your date is early, your message sits on

the top for a
while; if you're late, you show way down on the list and I often don't see

it. Donal's
posts have a different problem - his clock seems to be right, but his

posts take a few
hours to cross the pond.

I guess that I should own up here. My home computer has a dodgy battery.
So it keeps losing the time. Sometimes the kids start it up and they forged
to set the am/pm setting correctly. I usually spot it - but not always.

As I use two different computers to look at the ng, I use the posting times
to mark many posts as "read", so bad clocks cause aggro for me.

Regards

Donal

Jeff Morris

Your clock has the right local time but it has PDT for the timezone - it should be +8,
not -7

Just called the front desk and it's 7:18AM 27Jun03 Singapore Time

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:02:07 -0700

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Mine is 5:15AM on the 27th