posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Yachts abandoned - attention bargain hunters!

Story he

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori...6931c42. html

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message
Story he

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori...6931c42. html

The marinas' chickens . . . are comin' home . . . to rrroost!

Serves the greedy marina operator right. They've been abusing the public for
too many years with their exorbitant prices. (Around here, upwards of 1,000
dollars a month for a slip in what amounts to floating travel trailer park
full of broken down, go nowhere vessels. The operators should have seen the
handwriting on the wall but they've been lulled into a false sense of
security because the demand, heretofore, has outstripped the supply of wet
slips and moorings. Foolish people with more money to spend on highway
robbery than sense. No more! Money is now in short supply and will become
more so as the economy spirals into depression.

These fool *businessmen*, rather than scale back the cost of slips and
moorings, would rather they sit there empty. Duh! They've forgotten the
basic law of supply and demand. When demand goes down you just can't expect
to keep charging confiscatory rates. Letting a good percentage of your slips
and moorings sit empty and then spending your time complaining about it
indicates that you have not one iota of business acumen.

Take your medicine - go bankrupt rather than adjust your rates and lower
your overhead. There's a good little liberal wankstain!

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 22, 10:16*am, "Charles Momsen" wrote:
Story he

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori...nomy_abandoned...

Hey Gilligan hope all is well in Colorado,

Here there are over 300 boats abandoned on the lake .

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?...13B4Upx1BE88DD

The EL Lago Marina was one of the worst wiped out, sadly Silvers wife
could not handle the pressure.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6517696

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
On Nov 22, 10:16 am, "Charles Momsen" wrote:
Story he

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori...nomy_abandoned...

Hey Gilligan hope all is well in Colorado,

Here there are over 300 boats abandoned on the lake .

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?...13B4Upx1BE88DD

The EL Lago Marina was one of the worst wiped out, sadly Silvers wife
could not handle the pressure.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6517696

I feel badly for the poor guy. But . . .

Why do people not anticipate this kind of thing and prepare for it? Why do
people keep falling for the obviously false, liberal claptrap that a knight
in shining, government armor is going to gallop out of the sunrise and
rescue them from every eventuality, foreseen and unforeseen?

Why is it a marina in hurricane country didn't have a plan that included
rebuilding after a hurricane wiped them out? When did it ever get to the
point where there was nothing but despair leading to a suicide? Where was
the financial cushion? Why is a newspaper article furthering the insanity
and acting like it was all somebody else's fault. Griping that government
help isn't timely or enough. Worse still is the question: "Why do people
reading that propaganda nod their heads in agreement?" It's a barometer
into the soul of a soulless liberal society.

For how many years did the Silvers own and operate the marina? 10? 15? 20?
Unless they just recently purchased the marina, why did they not set aside a
percentage of earnings annually in a rebuilding kitty? Why did they neglect
having a contingency plan? And, if they just recently purchased it why did
they wipe out most of their working capital so there was nothing left in the
kitty for eventualities like hurricanes? Did they not have insurance of some
sort? Where was their business plan? In hurricane country partial or total
destruction it's a matter of when, not if.

It sounds like they embraced the liberal lie that big brother would come to
their rescue. How many times are people going to see this is rarely the case
before they smarten up and become responsible for taking care of their own?
Texan's, in particular, seem to like to brag about how they are so ruggedly
independent and manly. While I've not seen the level of whining as was and
still is the case in New Orleans - an almost totally liberal bastion - there
is still an embarrassing level of whining in the Galveston area where folks
pride themselves on being personally responsible and independent.

As long as people believe government is their friend and helpmate they are
living a lie. You have but two real friends in this life - the Good Lord and
His gifts to you. Any real man realizes this truth and acts accordingly. For
help of a critical nature look first to the Lord, then yourself, your
friends and your church in that order. Government does not appear anywhere
on the list.

Wake up, people!

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

yep, for folks with cash in hand...there are now, and will be grat
deals
avail...at least thst's what i am discovering...i started a boat corp
and we ( 5 members ) are shopping right now for a used ericson
38-200...

shoppin' and browsing the net, i see some great deals out there...i
bid on a 1976 ericson 35 in tx w/rub rail damage...not major....and
missed
by aprox $8,500 getting it...i bid a max of $2,500 and it sold for
$10k
or so...

not the boat i/we wanted.....but a heck of a deal...."cash in hand"
talks
in a recession, that's for sure......

cheers everyone......

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?...84&-session=Th...

[...]

Wilbur Hubbard- Hide quoted text -

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 23, 9:36*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

I've only meet mr Silvers a few times.
Before the housing bust he was looking for investors to build a high
rise like the hundred seen on the coast of Florida. Infact Florida
builders were snapping up water front property here at as high as 30
million an acre. I feel sorry for the kids.

Why he or she expected FEMA or the SBA to help is beyond me. They
passed out all the free money, generators, mobile homes, trailers,
credit cards, MRE's, rent checks, and aid to the Katrina "Victims".

Next hurricane here the Governer will request that we all make
cardboard help signs, line up at the astrodome and act like victims
too, if we expect to be treated fairly by the people passing out govt
cheese.

1000 bucks a mo for slip rentals in Florida? Does that come with a
jar of Vasaline?

Joe
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 23, 11:13*am, "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:
yep, for folks with cash in hand...there are now, and will be grat
deals
avail...at least thst's what i am discovering...i started a boat corp
and we ( 5 members ) *are shopping right now for a used ericson
38-200...

shoppin' and browsing the net, i see some great deals out there...i
bid on a 1976 ericson 35 in tx w/rub rail damage...not major....and
missed
by aprox $8,500 getting it...i bid a max of $2,500 and it sold for
$10k
or so...

not the boat i/we wanted.....but a heck of a deal...."cash in hand"
talks
in a recession, that's for sure......

cheers everyone......

Meet a fellow this week who bought an Alden 50 something for 20K.
Needs a toe rail and some gel-coat work and rigging and a pulpit.
Interior is stunning. There are many many 30 footers along the shore
of Clearlake that the owners have walked away from.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote:
yep, for folks with cash in hand...there are now, and will be grat
deals
avail...at least thst's what i am discovering...i started a boat corp
and we ( 5 members ) *are shopping right now for a used ericson
38-200...

shoppin' and browsing the net, i see some great deals out there...i
bid on a 1976 ericson 35 in tx w/rub rail damage...not major....and
missed
by aprox $8,500 getting it...i bid a max of $2,500 and it sold for
$10k
or so...

not the boat i/we wanted.....but a heck of a deal...."cash in hand"
talks
in a recession, that's for sure......

cheers everyone......

Frankly, I don't see 99% of boats on the market right now as a
"bargain" unless you have very limited sailing plans.

First of all, most boats are mass-produced dockominiums that don't
sail all that well and are not designed or equipped for serious
sailing or cruising. They're nice for drinking beer at the dock, so if
that's what you wanna do, then you can get a good deal.

2nd, most boats on the 2nd-hand market are badly neglected. Very few
are reasonably equipped for anything other than mild weather (see #1
above) and all will need skilled work plus at least a few BOAT unit$
for repair, maintenance, upgrades etc. Many have been neglected to the
point of needing major work.

When I was boat-shopping this past spring, it was a buyer's market
although not as much so as now; and of the boat within the size & type
range I was looking at, I didn't see a single one I considered a
bargain. Most I would not have accepted if offered to me for free.

But then, I'm kinda picky. YMMV

Ericsons are pretty good boats, but even at serious discount you will
probably sink more $$ into it than you'll ever get out, and that's not
putting a dollar value on your time & work. Remember, when good times
come again, it will most likely still be a buyer's market and the boat
will be older yet. So, pick a boat you really really like and will
find rewarding to own & sail. Then it will be worth the work & effort
you put into it.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
On Nov 22, 10:16 am, "Charles Momsen" wrote:
Story he

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori...nomy_abandoned...

Hey Gilligan hope all is well in Colorado,

Here there are over 300 boats abandoned on the lake .

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?...13B4Upx1BE88DD

The EL Lago Marina was one of the worst wiped out, sadly Silvers wife
could not handle the pressure.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6517696

Joe

Hi Joe,

Things are pretty good here for the most part. No real big unemployment
problems since most of those who lost their jobs went back to Mexico. A good
number of foreclosures on houses but the small investor is locked out
because lenders have a limit on the number of houses you can have mortgaged.
Gas is under $2.00, food and ammunition prices are dropping so it's not all
gloom and doom. I plan on getting down your way in a few weeks to see my old
yacht, its new owner and sniff around for another fine addition to the
fleet.

I hope you are getting a new RedCloud II going, it's people like you that
make America great - independent, self reliant people that never give up on
their vision.

Adm. Momsen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote:
[...]

But Doug, mass produced boats are not marketed for the slim 1%

First of all, most boats are mass-produced dockominiums that don't
sail all that well and are not designed or equipped for serious
sailing or cruising. They're nice for drinking beer at the dock, so if
that's what you wanna do, then you can get a good deal.

That's what sailing and for the most part, the American way of life has
become. Look at Robbie - tricked out flimsy racer for daysails, a turbo
coupe for grocery runs. Image sells but doesn't make up for lack of
character

2nd, most boats on the 2nd-hand market are badly neglected. Very few
are reasonably equipped for anything other than mild weather (see #1
above) and all will need skilled work plus at least a few BOAT unit$
for repair, maintenance, upgrades etc. Many have been neglected to the
point of needing major work.

Most boats? What is your sample size for this conclusion?

When I was boat-shopping this past spring, it was a buyer's market
although not as much so as now; and of the boat within the size & type
range I was looking at, I didn't see a single one I considered a
bargain. Most I would not have accepted if offered to me for free.

This begs the question: are you realistic?

But then, I'm kinda picky. YMMV

Ericsons are pretty good boats, but even at serious discount you will
probably sink more $$ into it than you'll ever get out, and that's not
putting a dollar value on your time & work. Remember, when good times
come again, it will most likely still be a buyer's market and the boat
will be older yet. So, pick a boat you really really like and will
find rewarding to own & sail. Then it will be worth the work & effort
you put into it.

I think that is what most people do. The problem is you don't like 99%
of boats and other people may like 20% or 50% of boats

If people wait until the end of next summer then they'll see the
bargains

Since the Democratic controlled Congress and the future administration
will be and are saddling our children with massive debt, I doubt boats will
be in the game plan for many in decades to come. There will be no rebound
for boats. Yachts will become what they once were - toys for the very, very
wealthy.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Are you being stalked, abused and harassed by the Kook hunters? Readthis jerry ASA 4 February 1st 08 02:19 AM
hunters, fishermen and landowners in Pa.- interesting rights and responsibilities under laww [email protected] General 2 December 7th 06 03:15 PM
Hunters RogueIT ASA 1 September 6th 06 09:22 PM
OT : Who do you believe, the Hmong or White Hunters ? steve General 61 November 30th 04 01:44 AM
Reaching struts on Hunters ? Going Cruising Cruising 23 May 22nd 04 01:20 AM