Mary Malmros

Default Bent-shaft Kayak Paddles, Why?

Bill Tuthill writes:

Could someone please summarize for me the arguments in favor of
bent-cranskshaft kayak paddles? I already know some arguments
against them (below) but am trying to understand the issue.
Maybe it's due to upper body rotation, but when I tried out a
bent-shaft in a store, my wrists rotated just as much.

. break more easily due to deformed shaft

Had mine for three seasons now of heavy use. No signs of breakage
despite several face-saving hockey cross-checks on rocks.

. make sculling and draw strokes more difficult

Not IME.

. higher cost

Yup.

. are harder to tie onto the roofrack

Not IME. I use MultiMounts though.

. cannot be made of wood

True, I suppose, but not something I care about.

The advantages of bent-shaft canoe paddles are obvious to me,
but not the advantages of bent-shaft kayak paddles. Searching
old messages I found some points about easier rolling and
less RSI, but if I don't have problems with a straight shaft,
how would switching help me?

Maybe it wouldn't. And maybe it would. If it ain't broke, don't
fix it; but don't be too surprised if you do start to develop RSI
over time. This doesn't require crappy technique, just a whole
lotta paddling on gear that's less ergonomic than it could be. My
data point is that a bent-shaft helped tremendously with my tennis
elbow. I wouldn't be without it.

--
Mary Malmros