Ed Edelenbos

Default Almost ready

Seakayaker wrote:

In addition to Brian's advice about "Deep Trouble", I would suggest that you
get a copy of Wayne Horodowich's video or DVD "Capsize Recovery and Rescue
Procedures". It is a great review of what you should learn in one of your
first professional courses.

Although I don't have any young children to paddle with, I have to agree
with Brian about how 2 boats would be much better. A good paddling friend
has a 12 year old daughter who has been paddling for a number of years in
her own boat. Although she doesn't roll (yet), she can wet exit and
paddlefloat re-enter in addition to doing an assisted T rescue.

Good luck,

Steve Holtzman
Southern CA

While I agree that texts can useful tool in learning about kayaking, I'd
also say to think through the conditions you will be going out in. And,
use a little common sense. If it looks too rough, it is. That is to
say, if you are not comfortable with the conditions when you set out,
you should assume they will not improve. There is always tomorrow. I
have never taught my kids to roll... I never plan to. I never plan to
be out in conditions where it will be necessary. I've taught them how
to right and climb back in the boats All of our boats have positive
floatation and they know to get back to the boat. They also know a few
of the signals from my SCUBA days... if you are ok, tap your head, if
not, wave your arm. They know to not worry about even their most
precious possession on the boat... And, (after 30 years of not wearing
a life jacket) I have a rule that everyone on the boat must.

Knowing and "training" for the conditions you plan to see is important.
If you are driving across country, learning to drive in a NASCAR race
is going to be of little help... in the same way, if you are kayaking
across a lake, practicing white water maneuvers is not what you need.

Ed