F.O.A.D. F.O.A.D. is offline

Default Higher rate of mental illness among army enlistees...

On 3/4/14, 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 06:54:08 -0500, "F.O.A.D." wrote:

Nearly 1 in 5 U.S. soldiers had a common mental illness, such as
depression, panic disorder or ADHD, before enlisting in the Army,

Two things immediately spring to mind.

Using the same standards as they used in this study, what is the rate
over all when they actually look at the general population 17-34?

Don't you think this is a great argument for reinstating the draft?

I've always been in favor of two years of mandatory national service
upon completing high school, and, upon completion, government assistance
for college or legitimate trade school tuition and living expenses.
Military service could be among the choices offered for the mandatory
service. I have a feeling, though, that the same sort of guys who
volunteer for the military would also be the volunteers under a
mandatory national service program. Most of the smarter guys will choose
some other form of service where there is less chance of having one's
life wasted in a place like Afghanistan.