riverman

Default Life in Congo, Part V: What a (long) strange trip its being....

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
"BJ Conner" wrote in message
om...
"leaves with palm oil "
Palm oil is really dangerous, It's not allowed in many countrys now,
Australian for one.

"riverman" wrote in message
Wow, I'd like to know more about that. Too bad, palm oil is quite

tasty.

I would like to see a reference for that too. My bull**** meter got up to
75% on that one and I got curious. All I can find is one environmental
action group recommending a boycott of palm oil products that are produced
in areas where the orangutan still lives (because people are clearing
forests to plant oil palms), a few articles on import bans (to shore up
local production), some articles on developing plantations (in Australia),
and a reclassification of 'raw palm oil' in India due to an import tax
loophole. Nothing about dangers in consumption but a lot of signs of a

huge
industry (who knew!).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the bull**** meter is pegged on this. Palm oil
manufacturing is what has traditionally kept the majority of western Congo
alive through the past 20 years. The Peace Corp is actively working to
replant overmature oil palms (they have a productive lifespan of about 10-15
years before they are too tall to climb) and its a major staple for about
800 million africans. If anything, there might be some first world Food and
Drug conflicts with the sanitation or quality of the product, since it IS
being produced in the heart of the jungle, and transported in all sorts of
marginally sterile containers (lets not even go there). But as for its
inherent danger...not a chance.

--riverman

--riverman