Bill Tuthill

Default Middle Fork of the Salmon River

In rec.boats.paddle.whitewater Mr. Tea wrote:

Devil's Tooth might well have been the hardest rapid at this level.

I agree, and this is also the case at around 3' (gage at MF Lodge),
but this is not what the guidebooks say.

At 3' it was surprising how easy Sulphur Slide became -- I didn't even
recognize it as Sulphur until I was at the bottom. Powerhouse also
seemed easier at 3', which was surprising, because it has big hydraulics.

The lowest I've done it from the top was 1.9'; you had somewhat less.
I remember several unnamed passages (gravel/boulder bars) where my raft
got stuck, but perhaps I just took the wrong route.

Commercial guides are expected to take rafts, and maybe even sweep boats,
from the top (fortunately without passengers) down to 1.7' or lower.
The upper river is so enjoyable that I believe people are missing out
if they start at Indian Creek.