William R. Watt

Default Dogs and Canoes

my dog was too restless as a pup. he'd jump out and swim to shore whenever
we got close to land. he was okay when he was quite old. he seemed ot
enjoy it a times. often he looked bored. I put a foam pad on the bottom to
provide traction and a dry bed.

for canine PFD's you'll problably find more at sailboat stores than
paddling stores. people take dogs on sailboats although its not
recommended. poor dogs. we never used a canine PFD for our afternoon
paddles. he only fell out a couple times. we had to go ashore for him to
get back in. lifting a 54 lb dog with the added weight of a coat full of
water back into the small boat was not possible. if you do plan to take a
dog I'd suggest figuring a way to get her back into the boat.

in the old days natives would transport their dogs by canoe like
everything else but that was not for recreation and I don't know if either
the dogs or the natives got much pleasure out of it. I have a book here
with a photo taken in 1989 of a native trapper with his dog and his
snowmobile in his canoe and an outboard motor on the back pushing them
along. a canoe trip is what you make of it.

ExPatBrit ) writes:
Does anyone have experience introducing a dog to canoeing?

I have a new 3-year old female German shepherd that I'd like to take
on short canoe trips.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm