riverman

Default River Grades - Rafts vs Kayaks

"Wilko" wrote in message
news:1fg8b.37557$tK5.4769674@zonnet-reader-1...

Dan Valleskey wrote:

I don't think there are many Class six runs being done routinely.

Same story here.

(Wilko, I hope I am correct in assuming that European standards are
substantially the same as U.S.?)

From what I've seen in the U.S., I would say so. Maybe the comparison
with western U.S. rivers/ratings fits the type of rivers here better,
though.

The interesting thing about western ratings is that there is no numerical
classification for 'unrunnable'. Class 10 often is described as "an
inexperienced boatman in a good quality boat has less than a 50-50 chance of
making it right-side up." I like the 10-step breakdown, too, since it
clears up some of that vast grey area between Class III and Class IV on the
traditional grading scale.

--riverman

(and it sounds a lot like Spinal Tap, too.)