Dave Manby

Default River Grades - Rafts vs Kayaks

Lets face it the grading thing is not an objective thing but it should
be.

The grading system is closed and this is its problem. Either the grade
system has to be open ended and so we have grade 7 8 ..And as equipment
and skills improve higher or we have to regularly down grade the rapids
because they are easier now than when they were originally graded many
when the paddlers were in canvas boats. This was tried several years ago
but the general boating public ignored it.

In reality it does not matter because once you get to what is currently
accepted as grade 4 in a kayak then you know what you are doing and can
make an informed choice. Grade 5 is what you are aspiring to and once
you get to that level then you have no real worries about what the grade
is but what the water level is!
--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at