Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Windows XP end of support

On 2/10/2014 7:33 PM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
On 2/10/14, 6:31 PM, Boating All Out wrote:
In article , says...

Have you contacted Apple directly via Apple Care? I had a problem
getting the built-in wifi on my new little Canon camera to link up
consistently with my new iMac. I contacted Apple care last week, an
engineer called me, he had a solution that partially worked and said he
would escalate the problem to a development team. He called me on
Saturday to let me know the "team" sent him an email saying it was
working on the problem and might get back to him this week.

I'm beginning to see why the computer-illiterate prefer Apple.
Hand-holding.
I wonder how many people here with Win systems have talked to or
exchanged e-mails with Window tech support.
Not me.

Yeah, right, because Windoze users are all able to code their own device
drivers and wifi hooks and so there's no reason to contact Microsoft.

Who "codes" their own device drivers? The driver typically comes with
the device, is already installed in Windows or can be easily found
on-line. I've noticed that more often than not (especially on the Win7
machine) that when I hook up a new device ... like the flatbed scanner
.... Windows automatically detects and loads the driver if it happens to
exist in the device ... or automatically finds the appropriate one (I
assume on the 'net) and installs it. I haven't used a CD supplied with
a device for a long time to load a driver. Plug and Play and it works.

Wi-Fi is duck soup (assuming the recycled equipment from Comcast works).
Even if it doesn't, it's not very difficult to figure out where the
problem resides.

That all said, I've found the same to be true with the iMac ... with the
annoying exception that I've previously bitched about regarding midi
input events.

I talked again today to my recording engineer friend to make sure I am
not missing something somewhere. It appears I am doing everything
correctly as far as the midi device, cabling and midi to USB conversion.
It's exactly what he is doing in his recording studio. Only difference
is that his iMac is the older version and he is running Mountain Lion.
He also is aware of reported problems with Mavericks in the application
important to his livelihood and is holding off upgrading until the
issues are resolved.