Jeff Potter

Default Science of fastest stroke? --Stand, kneel, canoe, kayak?

Thanks for helping with this probably obvious stuff.

I recall that 30 mile marathons in Europe are still won with highkneelers, tho.
So the design isn't always stressfully tippy.

Also a friend of mine went overseas and used a highkneel hull in the sit-down
marathon style at the Worlds and other events and 'only' got fourth. I recall
he was real impressed with the kneelers, but maybe he wasn't at his own fitness
peak then.

Again, for a, say, 2 hour race in a given hull, which paddle style would win
based on science? Kayak, highkneel or sit'n'hut. ??

Cutter wrote:

I'm not sure what you are really seeking. A kayak will be faster given
similar hull design. I base this in finish times in 500M and 1000M
Olympic events vs. a canoe. A kayak's cadence is faster, though each
stroke is weaker. More x weaker = faster. Yes a high kneel canoe is faster
than a low kneel, or sit down marathon style. It is very tiring when
distances exceed 10,000 meters. The fastest paddle boat out there? K-4.
The boat most likely to finish a 150 mile race in front... a sit down canoe.
Any energy used to keep a tippy boat upright will depleat energy available
to propell it. This is why a good 500 M boat may not be a good 10,000 M
boat.

--

Jeff Potter
****