Marsh Jones

Default Science of fastest stroke? --Stand, kneel, canoe, kayak?

Why I prefer 'hut-hut-hut'...
10. If it's over mild Class 2, I don't want to be there anyway...
9. I don't get warm for at least an hour
8. My paddle weighs a lot less than yours (8-9oz)
7. I like paddling balanced on a razor blade.
6. Riding/drafting is a lot tougher with a double paddle
5. Hut gives your partner something to do
4. I can see farther down the river than you can
3. My back hurts too much sitting down in a yak for that long
2. My boat weighs less than yours does
(and the real reason I like sit & switch)
1. My knees would never put up with a high-kneeler anyway.

Aside from poking fun at each other, I paddle sea kayak, surf ski (a
little) touring and racing canoes. I can't imagine taking a kayak to
most of the places I go in the BWCA, nor would I take a canoe to
Superior. While I *can* J-stroke, I prefer to 'hut' even when touring.
Experienced paddlers/racers lose perhaps 1/4 stroke per hut, so
assuming a 72 stroke/min and hutting every 6 strokes, that's only 3
strokes/ minute lost. Not quite what Barton can do in a K-1 over a
thousand meters, but I'm still going at that clip after 3-4 hours.

As they say, 'different strokes'. I fully appreciate His Kanubic
Heresy's goal of leaving no hole unsurfed, but I'd rather a different
way. (and no waterwings requiredG)

Marsh Jones
New Brighton, MN

Oci-One Kanubi wrote:
Heh, heh. I'm not, frankly, very interested in all this (I have never
raced because I have never yet put on a river with the express
intention of getting back off it as soon as I can; I take my time and
make the most I can of the river) but I can tell you *this* much
"science":

Kayaks have two distinct speed advantages over canoes (not to mention
other advantages not directly related to speed). These are (1) nearly
double the natural stroke rate, because each "recovery" stroke is
simultaneously a power stroke on the other side, and (2) alternating
power strokes from side to side means a kayaker (going straight, no
current, etc.) never has to make a correction stroke or waste time
*hut-hutting*. Correction strokes reduce yer speed in two ways, (a)
yer forward stroke rate is reduced due to the time spent correcting
rather than powering, and (b) there is a small braking component to
every correction stroke.

-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
Richard Hopley, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net 1-301-775-0471
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll.
rhople[at]wfubmc[dot]edu 1-336-713-5077
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters.

Jeff Potter typed:

I'm thinking there's probably been both science done and comparison done
between all the various possible ways to paddle. Anyone have any details
on it?

Here are the options I see:

*standing up, single blade
*standing up, poling