Jeff Potter

Default Science of fastest stroke? --Stand, kneel, canoe, kayak?

Oci-One Kanubi wrote:

Heh, heh. I'm not, frankly, very interested in all this (I have never
raced because I have never yet put on a river with the express
intention of getting back off it as soon as I can; I take my time and
make the most I can of the river) but I can tell you *this* much
"science":

Just go farther, dude! : ) Getting a boat onto a plane at a hull-optimized
speed in a hull optimized for speed is way cool and feels good.

I can't imagine labeling those WW 'slippers' as boats. Or not going anywhere,
as per today's WW mode of simulating liftserved skiing on water. All that
waiting your turn for waves...yuck!

Kayaks have two distinct speed advantages over canoes

But are these realworld advantages? I don't recall that kayaks beat canoes in
distance events. Maybe sometimes. Doesn't one typically get more lactic
buildup when kayaking for speed so that the events are shorter? I vaguely
recall that highkneel beats all even in 2 hour events. Hmmm, maybe Landick
used a kayak paddle in his huge hull at the Texas Water Safari---or maybe he
alternated paddle-types. Oh well maybe someone has some real science.

--

Jeff Potter
****