Jeff Potter

Default Science of fastest stroke? --Stand, kneel, canoe, kayak?

I'm thinking there's probably been both science done and comparison done
between all the various possible ways to paddle. Anyone have any details
on it?

Here are the options I see:

*standing up, single blade
*standing up, poling
*high-kneeling
*sitting, canoe
*sitting, kayak (dbl blade)

I've recently been fooling around with stand-up paddling. Man, it's fun!
And it seems very fast and all-body dynamic. I vaguely recall that
highkneeling is tested as faster than paddling even over a long
distance, so I'm wondering if maybe standing is faster yet. ?? It seems
like one can also pole nicely with a stand-up paddle when it is shallow
then paddle well when it's deep. But poles supposedly paddle well when
deep as well and really get traction in the shallows.

Anyone know how all this plays out? Thanks.

I was out standing in my J200 the other day. That's still a somewhat
viable fla****er race hull. Not too bad. Tippier than my Advantage, for
sure, but quite a bit faster shape, too.

I heard from a local guy who has a 6 foot paddle for me to test in
standing. --Big George Stockman (of yore). I believe he has a national
OC title or two under his belt. And I think he's the only guy to C1 the
AuSable Marathon for grins.

--

Jeff Potter
****