John Fereira

Default sponsons really work! (BS)

Mary Malmros wrote in
:

John Fereira writes:

(William R. Watt) wrote in

[snipster]
but I'm strictly a solo paddler on the lakes and rivers of
Ontario where waves and cold water are not unkown.

The lake that I am describing is only about an hour and half south of
Lake Ontario.

Heh...you'll appreciate this, John, since you're from my same
latitude and only a short ways west. Every summer, me and my buds
head _north_ to Ontario for the warm-water paddling on the Ottawa
River. The section we paddle is controlled by a top-release dam,
and it's considerably warmer than the Deerfield, which is
bottom-release. It feels like bath-water to us!

A friend of mine from Ithaca goes up there quite often as well. Have you
met a guy named Matt Stevens?

Moral to that story, latitude is just _one_ factor influencing water
temperature...and often, not the most important one.

There's a similar scenario not far from here. I've gone flyfishing a bunch
of times on a couple of rivers in the Catskills. Both the east and west
branch of the Delaware river are tailwater rivers (fed from the bottom of a
dam). The west branch is fed from Cannonsville reserveroir all summer but
the feed into the east branch from Pepacton reservoir is reduced
significantly. As a result, the water temperature goes up and many of the
fish in the east branch move into the west branch.