Wilko

Default World's Safest Whitewater Helmet

Gil Turner wrote:
Those who will come after him, down the twisting, thundering path of
the whitewater will be able to rely on a helmet that will provide far
greater protection in this extreme, dangerous, but rapidly growing
sport.

I'm sorry to hear about your son's death. That's an interesting motive
for designing a safer white water helmet, one that I can only applaud.
However, I do have some critical notes with this article...

I'm not at all impresssed by claims to be the world's best or safest,
but I am interested to hear how this claim is substantiated. Has this
helmet been compared to other purpose designed white water helmets in
comparatice tests?

I also find several lines in this article misleading or just plainly
wrong. For example, there were at that time (1998) and have been since
several purpose designed white water helmets on the market, from a
couple of brands all over the world. Granted, some are offering better
protection than others, but that's not what the article seems to imply.

On top of that I find the general tone of the article annoying. What
exactly is so extreme and dangerous about this sport?

There are already good products out on the market to protect yourself
against blows to the head and body, from a number of companies. That
said, there will always be a certain risk involved with paddling
whitewater (or any water for that matter).

--
Wilko van den Bergh
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe