John Fereira

Default sponsons really work! (BS)

(William R. Watt) wrote in
:

John Fereira ) writes:

I went out on our local lake last year with a couple of friends on a
day when there were some strong winds coming down the 40 mile long
lake from the north. There were frequent 2-3' breaking waves. All
three of us are experienced in and have practiced several different
reentry techniques. We paddled about a mile out and decided to
practice some re-entries. First we tried the "cowboy" rescue as
described above. Even though my Outer Island is narrow (21"), has a
very low rear deck, and a cockpit large enough to sit in before
putting in my legs, I was unable to sucessfully get back in using a
cowboy rescue after four attempts.

was the problem, the narrow beam and cockpit? you have to push up right
quick because the hull is least stable when you're sitting upright.

As I said, I've sucessfully performed that rescue technique many times. The
narrow beam actually makes it easier to straddle the boat and the cockpit is
big enough such that I can sit down before putting my legs in, although one
of my other boats does have an ocean cockpit. The point is that I've
actually practiced the method under a range of conditions, and in the kind
of conditions that are most likely going to cause a capsize I found it
unreliable.

perhaps its not a good technique for some people on those very narrow
boats. I don't think I'd need to use a paddle brace but that's
personal.

Frankly, I would prefer to know with a high amount of certainty what would
work and what would not.

After the fourth time capsizing before
*almost* getting back into the cockpit, I grabbed my paddle float and
was back in the cockpit in less than 30 seconds. Only one of the
three of us managed to reenter his kayak and stay upright using a
cowboy rescue that day. On flatter water all of us have sucessfully
used a cowboy rescue to reenter many, many times. Usually, however,
if we have capsized we just roll up or use and assisted eskimo rescue
off a paddling partners bow. That's the way the easter Canadians,
Greenlanders, Aluets, and Innuit have been doing it for generations.

I guess you've never had any alligator wresting experience, there,
sonny.

Sonny? You have no idea how old I am.

I don't see you listed with the WRWF (World Reptile Wrestling
Federation). "Cowboy"? What "cowboy"" What do dry dirty dusty cowboys
know about getting back into boats they've fallen out of?

"Cowboy reentry" is the commonly used name to describe the technique which
you claim is the normal way for kayakers to reenter their boat. I assume
it's because it involves straddling the boat as you climb up toward the
cockpit as if one were riding a horse, or as in the case of the conditions
that are likely going to cause a capsize, a bucking bronco.

Ever done any
log rolling?

No, but I'm pretty proficient at kayak rolling.

I've never paddled around Iceland, and God only knows why anybody would
want to. I'll bet even teh native don't do it any more, unless maybe
offered large sums of money by tourists.

You'd lose that bet. Chris, Leon, and Shawna met several local kayakers
along the way and gave some instruction at a couple of Icelandic kayak
clubs. As to why anyone would want to paddle around Iceland, if you're
really interested you can read about their expedition at
http://www.icelandexpedition2003.com

Climbing in over the rear deck
worked for me. It wasn't even a challenge. Maybe its all the swimming
and water polo and getting in and out of the pool.

How many times did you try it and under what conditions?

I can understand why
you'd want to go in a group of like-minded people (???) where you
paddle

Can you? It's a group of good friends that goes out on Wednesday's after
work to practice a variety of skills and just have fun on the water. We
practice a lot of things that make us better and safer solo paddlers as
well. The advantage of practicing as a group is that if something isn't
working it is much easier to reenter with the assistance of another
accomplished paddler using a bow assist rescue, paddle assist rescue, a T-X
with it's several variations, an H-I rescue, etc.

Just out of curiosity, do you think you could reenter a kayak or your
sailboat if you had a dislocated shoulder? How about if you were
hypothermic? Yes, we practice hand-of-god rescues as well.

but I'm strictly a solo paddler on the lakes and rivers of
Ontario where waves and cold water are not unkown.

The lake that I am describing is only about an hour and half south of Lake
Ontario. It's 40 miles long so we get some pretty big waves and cold water
here too. I was out a couple of days ago when there were 2-3' breaking
waves. BTW, I don't believe your 6' waves on the Rideau canal story for an
instant. I'm sure that if they are as common as you claim you should be able
to provide a picture.

In one of my less
rational moments I did go out in a parka in December to see what it was
like. I rely on myself to re-enter any boat I might fall out of. I
don't know what experinece you've had with sponsons but I've found them
usefull on two narrow boats, both of which had a 24" beam.

Sponsons are used to avoid re-entry.

So are strong bracing skills and the ability to self-right a boat by
rolling.