Poco Loco Poco Loco is offline

Default Bad outcome

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 21:41:55 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/17/2014 9:27 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:31:27 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

I found some data that covers 1973 to 2012 (39 years).

The percentage of households with one or more firearms has decreased
over that period from 49.1 percent in 1973 to 34.4 percent in 2012.
The percentage peaked in 1974 at 54 percent and the lowest was 2010 at
32.3 percent.

So, again, I put the blame solely on the lack of parenting.

I wonder where they got that data. I've never been asked how many firearms I own on any census or
survey I can remember. I'll bet there are a whole hell of a lot of unregistered, illegal handguns
floating around our big problem cities that aren't included in those households.

I found the data I posted at:

http://www.gunpolicy.org/

I don't know where they get their data from but I suspect it's from
random surveys.

I wonder...could that be due to the population increase over the past 40 years coupled with the
source of the increase? The number of small arms either manufactured or imported during the past 25
years has gone from about 3.7 million to 8.7 million. I suppose DHS accounts for a bunch, but it has
only about 230,000 employees. Even giving each of them a couple guns doesn't account for the growth.

The handgun chart is really weird, showing 5% gains and drops in household possession in two year
periods.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/co..._with_handguns