F.O.A.D. F.O.A.D. is offline

Default Bad outcome

On 1/17/14, 9:24 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:00:09 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/17/2014 7:19 PM, BAR wrote:
In article , says...

Watching Dr. Phil, the story is about four boys, 16 and 17 years old
that decided to rob a vacant home. When they got into the home, it turns
out the owner was home and came out with his gun. The home owner shot
and killed one of the boys. Because of the murder* committed during the
commission of a crime the three living boys were convicted of a murder
and each sentenced to 50 years.

I'm usually pretty hard on people that don't know what's theirs and
what's not, but 50 years for a 16 year old is pretty tough.

*not sure why they keep calling it a murder.

If one of these young men had killed the homeowner they would all be faced with the same
outcome.

50 years ago when I was about that age if I ever got caught with some
friends entering a vacant building, I'd probably be hauled down to the
police station along with my friends and all of the parents, read the
riot act by the cop on duty and then sent home to face the real
punishment at the hands of my old man.

Today you get shot or sent to prison for 50 years.

Is it me or has the concept of parenting and teaching right and wrong
gone out the window? It seems like many young people today have many
anger issues and absolutely no respect for authority, rules, laws or
respect for the property of others.

Look at 'homicide, dc' or homicide, chicago, or homicide detroit and check out the ages of the
suspects. Very young, most of them.

Look at the ages of your typical young men who are shooting up suburban
schools. "Very young, most of them." Is there a statistically
significant difference between the ages of urban and suburban shooters?
What was wrong with the parents of the Columbine shooters or Adam
Lanza's mother?

The point is, I think, is that there have been a great number of drastic
societal changes since the 1950s, and those changes, *including*
parenting and many, many other factors, have brought us the "shoot 'em
up" society we have today.

Sociology and other "people" sciences reveal many of the questions and
answers.