Califbill Califbill is offline

Default Bad outcome

"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
On 1/17/2014 9:27 PM, Poco Loco wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:31:27 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/17/2014 8:09 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2014 8:00:09 PM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:

50 years ago when I was about that age if I ever got caught with some
friends entering a vacant building, I'd probably be hauled down to the
police station along with my friends and all of the parents, read the
riot act by the cop on duty and then sent home to face the real
punishment at the hands of my old man.

The difference is, 50 years ago the chance of you and your friends
packing heat is very low. As we've all seen, the chance of it now,
with the numbing of our young by Hollywood's glamorization of violence
along with video games, etc., has increased that chance many times.
I'm, unfortunately, on the side of the homeowner. It's a consequence
of the loss of morals by society in general.

I guess I agree although there is statistical data that would suggest
the opposite is true in terms of having access to firearms.

I found some data that covers 1973 to 2012 (39 years).

The percentage of households with one or more firearms has decreased
over that period from 49.1 percent in 1973 to 34.4 percent in 2012.
The percentage peaked in 1974 at 54 percent and the lowest was 2010 at
32.3 percent.

So, again, I put the blame solely on the lack of parenting.

I wonder where they got that data. I've never been asked how many
firearms I own on any census or
survey I can remember. I'll bet there are a whole hell of a lot of
unregistered, illegal handguns
floating around our big problem cities that aren't included in those households.

I found the data I posted at:

http://www.gunpolicy.org/

I don't know where they get their data from but I suspect it's from random surveys.

Most people would not answer the question. There are very few illegal
unregistered weapons in California. Only those "assault weapons" on the
banned list, that people had before the ban, and did not register.
Otherwise, no permit or license is required to own a firearm in this state.
federal and state laws now require a transaction to go though an FFL
holder, but that has only been for some years. When I bought my Rem. 1100,
I bought it at the firearms dealer on 2nd street in downtown San Francisco.
No waiting period for long guns. They wrapped in paper and handed it to
me, and
I walked out the door. The records are not supposed to go to the state!