John Fereira

Default First Kayak purchase weight limit

John Caldeira wrote in
:

Matt,

If your intention is to do tour with other kayakers, including some
overnight touring, at your weight I think you'd be sadly disappointed
with a 13 or 14 foot boat. Someone in the Cape Lookout 135 or 145 is
likely to have a hard time keeping up with other kayakers due to such
a short waterline length.

Many people buy a short, wide barge-style kayak like the Cape Lookout
thinking it's more stable and convenient to store in a garage, but
they're back the next year buying the longer, narrower boat that they
should have bought in the first place.

The Cape Lookout 135 and 145 are 24" wide. That's not really what I would
consider to be barge-style.

but
they're back the next year buying the longer, narrower boat that they
should have bought in the first place.

"should have bought in the first place"? Longer, narrower boats might be
appropriate if you're primarily interested in paddling longer distances and
do some overnight touring, but not everyone is interested in paddling long
distances and touring.