Hank Hank is offline

Default Question on ...

On 1/17/2014 10:14 AM, F.O.A.D. wrote:
When I was living in West Virginia, one of my buddies was an Army
captain and physician who was the "doc" who examined potential enlistees
in Cabell County. I recall him telling me of the great numbers of
wannabes he had to turn down because the ravages of the poverty of their
youth kept them from meeting even minimal standards. It was sad, he
said, because the military would have offered them a way out of their
abject poverty and lack of educational opportunities.

Why should the Military turn down a well fed, big, strong, intellectual
in favor of a ravaged young man just to lift him out of poverty?