John Caldeira

Default First Kayak purchase weight limit

Matt,

If your intention is to do tour with other kayakers, including some
overnight touring, at your weight I think you'd be sadly disappointed
with a 13 or 14 foot boat. Someone in the Cape Lookout 135 or 145 is
likely to have a hard time keeping up with other kayakers due to such
a short waterline length.

Many people buy a short, wide barge-style kayak like the Cape Lookout
thinking it's more stable and convenient to store in a garage, but
they're back the next year buying the longer, narrower boat that they
should have bought in the first place.

It would be good to look around at the boats other kayakers are using
in your area for the purpose you intend, and buy something similar.
At your weight, that is likely a 16' or 17' boat like the Perception
Eclipse the earlier reply mentioned, and a width about 22".

You received good advice in an earlier reply to look at the OPTIMAL
paddler weight for a boat instead of the maximum weight.

John

(Matthew Twomey) wrote:
..... I looking to purchase my first Kayak.
I have done some mild Kayaking in the past and have developed a good
idea of what I am looking for (basically a shorter touring/rec kayak
with at least one dry hatch). Anyway I am looking specifically at the
Wilderness Systems Cape Lookout 135 and 145.
I weigh 215 pounds ....

John Caldeira
Dallas, Texas, USA
http://www.outdoorplace.org/beekeeping