ron L

Default First Kayak purchase weight limit

Matthew Twomey wrote:

Anyway I am looking specifically at the
Wilderness Systems Cape Lookout 135 and 145.

I really like the fit of the 135. ...
I weigh 215 pounds and the 135 has a 240
weight limit - on occasion I would be interested doing some overnight
trips and I'm concerned about going over this weight limit with the
stuff I pack. My question is this (don't laugh): If I go slightly over
the limit - like 245 or 250 pounds (due to gear and food) am I going
to sink?

Well, according to notes on the Wilderness Systems forums

(at http://forums.confluencewatersports.com/)

WS *used to* advertise paddler weight as an optimum weight. Since other
companies would use a maximum weight, WS boats looked like they wouldn't
carry much, so WS began to publish max weight instead.

(For instance, see

http://forums.confluencewatersports....636&highlight=

for a sample.)

If that is the case, I wouldn't want to push the limit too much (that is,
not at all). You might want to post your question on the WS forum. In
fact, someone around your weight posted the same question:

http://forums.confluencewatersports....398&highlight=