Marsh Jones

Default Canoe & Kayak Scams Kills 1,000 Americans

Michael Daly wrote:

On 12-Aug-2003, Marsh Jones wrote:

I've never seen a kayak with
sponsons successfully complete an eskimo roll,

How many attempts have you seen?

Timmy's bags aren't that great and the increase in stabiilty isn't spectacular
(in spite of photos showing folks standing up in their kayaks with them).
I tested them years ago and tried rolling with them as well. I used a rented
Solstice GTS and found the difference in rolling with/without was similar to the
difference in rolling the same kayak loaded/unloaded.

Mike

OK, smart guy:-)

I bit on the flame bait about bike helmets and probably overstated the
case. I'm still awed by folks that cool off by a quick roll anyway.
I'll stand on the point that learning to paddle is probably cheaper
than the product, and definitely better in the long run.
Since you've tried them, and *I've* only seen them and decided they were
something I didn't need to try, how did they work in a side wave? That
was my big fear - like taking a flat bottomed Grumman canoe out in a
squall. High initial stability, loss of secondary stability.

Marsh