Grumman-581

Default Placing a Bike In a Canoe

"Oci-One Kanubi" wrote ...
No nooooooo........

"Tethering" is a ***terrible*** idea. "Tethering" means tieing it
with a single line and a lot of slack. If you do that, and you
capsize, the bike will sink to the bottom at the end of the tether,
and is very, very likely to snag. Then the current will push yer
anchored boat underwater, and there you will be (after you get ashore
and then hike back upstream to the accident site) with yer boat
anchored partly or fully underwater.

"Lash" is the operative word here. "Lash" the bike tightly to the
boat so that it cannot separate from the hull by even inches.

Ok... Makes sense... I wasn't familiar with the river in question and didn't
know if it was something that you would have to worry about with regards to
current... I'm in Texas and most of our rivers move about as fast as
lakes... For dive kayaks, it is recommended to tether all of your gear to
the kayak and I was using that as a basis for my recomendation... I still
would consider tethering it in addition to lashing it -- just in case...