Dan Dunphy

Default Need canoe advice.

Why don't you rent a few canoes, and see what you like.
The price sounds good on the discovery, but they are a little heavy.
Paddle it, or one like it. It's probably a real good general purpose
boat.
I consider the discover on the bottom end of quality boats, avoid
Coleman at all costs. You can always get most of your money back out
of the discovery, if you become an "enthusiast" and want to upgrade.
Oldtown also has higher end boats, as do We-No-Nah, Mad River, Dagger,
Bell, etc. For rivers I prefer a boat with a little rocker. You trade
awat some tracking for manuverability. Again, paddeling several
designs is the best way to determine what you like and don't.

Another approach is to join a canoe club. You will run into a vast
selection of boats, and many folks will let you try their boats.
A comment was made about tunblehome, adding to stability. Sorry, no.
TH subtracts from terminal stability, but makes it easier to reach the
water with the paddle. Again a tradeoff.

Dan

On 6 Aug 2003 07:48:37 -0700, (CR) wrote:

"Leslie" wrote in message ...

I just called a rental place that sells used Old Town Discovery 169s
for $475. Is that a good canoe, good price (assuming they are in good
shape)?

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.