CanoeArt

Default Need canoe advice.

I have 2 touring kayaks and I'm thinking about trading them for a
canoe. I like the speed of the kayaks but they are a pain to get in
and out of and it's hard to carry anything in them. Bottom line is I
don't use them anymore. My question is what should I look for in a
canoe? I'll be canoeing in rivers and lakes in north alabama. They are
generally fairly small rivers with easy conditions. What material is
best? Also what size and shape? I'm assuming if you get a stable canoe
you will lose some speed, is that correct?

Any info is appreciated!

Chuck.

Hi, Chuck, I agree with everything Leslie has mentioned. I my case, my problems
are pretty much what yours are, hard to get out of Kayaks. I have found, in
that I solo all the time, that I needed a canoe that would help keep up with
the kayakers on day trips, After much research I opted to buy the Dagger
Sojourn (solo), it tracks very nicely, it is 30" wide, it has 1.5 rocker at the
bow and none at the stern, it is harder to turn, but for the paddling you and I
do, that is not a factor. Also another canoe which I also own for tandem
paddling/tripping is the Old Town Penobscot 16, Roylex covered, this canoe can
also be soloed easily, replace thward with third seat.

Well that's my two cents worth, go out and try these canoes or many others.

CanoeArt

"Keep a Paddle in the Water at All Times"