qrk

Default What to do in a lighting storm while Kayaking?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:12:20 GMT, "Ronald Donahue"
wrote:

"Jim Esler" wrote in message
A kayak or a PFD will not provide any significant protection.
http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_...to_editor.html dismisses
a similar myth concerning protection in a car with the statement, "
RUBBER TIRES WILL INSULATE ME FROM LIGHTNING (it has traveled miles
through space.a few inches of rubber mean nothing at all.)"

One source for information about lightning is
http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls.html
--
Jim Esler

I know we all grew up believing it was the rubber tires that protect us from
lightning in a car, but it turns out it's probably the steel frame. In my 30
years as a pilot I have been struck at least 3 times with minimal damage to
the airplane it seems that the metal frame and skin of the aircraft along
with static wicks designed to disperse the strike do a pretty good job. One
of the problems with the new composite (no metal) airframes has been
adequate lightning protection my guess is this would apply to a kayak.

Ron Donahue

Ron struck the nail on the head - metal skinned airplanes and
automobiles act as a Faraday shield which helps (helps, but not a 100%
guarantee unless you are 100% surrounded by a conductor) to protect
you if hit by lightning. Actually, most car tires are not insulators,
but, are slightly conductive due to the carbon content in the rubber.
This helps to drain the static from the car body. I wish shoe
manufacturers would do the same for shoe soles.

Standing on a PFD or other insulator is meant to protect you from the
current flowing in the earth during a nearby lightning strike. If you
can't stand on an insulator, then keep your feet close together to
reduce the electric potential between your right and left feet. This
sort of danger is present in water if lightning strikes the water,
thus, best not to be swimming during a lightning storm.

Trees are a danger due to the bark exploding off the trunk when hit by
lightning (superheats the moisture under the bark instantly). Not to
mention falling branches, or something my parents narrowly missed
while camping on their honeymoon, the whole tree falling down.
http://wvlightning.com/trees.html

An aside, if you hike any of the peaks in the Cascade range in Oregon,
look for the melted holes in the granite caused by lightning strikes.
Very impressive. Sure wouldn't want to be up there during a storm!

Mark