Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Speaking of guns and horses

On 11/13/2013 7:18 AM, John H wrote:

The idea that a cop could search, warrantless, your home and this would be acceptable is
unfathomable.

John H. -- Hope you're having a great day!

I agree that a search of your home without a warrant showing probable
cause is unfathomable. The sneaky thing about this selectman's proposal
is that the authorization for the cops to search is tied to your permit
to own firearms. In other words, you don't agree .. you can't legally
own a firearm. To me, his idea is that in order to qualify for a gun
permit you must give the police permission to enter and search your home
ahead of time.

Years ago when we were wintering in Florida and Mrs.E's. horses had
been transported down there, we received a letter from our home town
indicating that a barn inspection had been conducted and her permit to
have horses was renewed for another year. Mrs.E. was happy. I was ****ed.

The barn had been secured for the winter. No horses. It's located on
our property. It also contains a lot of fairly expensive equipment and
gear.

What right did a town official have to enter the barn without our
knowledge or permission? I know it was harmless and for a specific
purpose but still the idea that anyone ... town official or private
citizen could enter whenever they felt like it got under my skin.
To me, it's trespassing.

I called the town hall and explained my concern. I wasn't an ass about
it or anything but made the point that if it were anyone else, it would
be considered a break-in, in my opinion. I asked them what would
happen if we reported some equipment as being missing when we returned
in the spring?

I guess the town had never considered anything like that. Since then
they always call the day before they would like to visit for an inspection.