Lofty

Default Mercruiser 140 HP 3 Litre

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:21:34 GMT, "Barleycorn"
wrote:

Hi all,

I have a Mercruiser 140 HP 3 Litre engine in my Fletcher, approx 1988
vintage. Due to the engine water pump failing I think that I have cooked
the head. Does anyone know if this engine was used in any Vauxhall /
Bedford vehicles, so that I can find a head?

The other thing that crossed my mind was fitting a diesel if doing this
engine up would cost too much. Lancing marine does a kit to fit the Ford
1.8 diesel onto the Mercruiser outdrive. I happen to have a good
Turbocharged 1.8 in an old Sierra, which I am told you could get 80
Horsepower out of with a bit of tweaking. Has anyone had experience of
doing this?

All advice gladly accepted!!

TIA Barleycorn.

Hi Barleycorn

The head on this engine is cast iron and doesn't warp very easily, but
even if the engine pump fails, you still have quite a bit of
circulation from the leg pump.

Did the engine actually overheat? if not, its likely little damage was
done unless you were really pushing it.

The engine is the old General Motors unit used in American pick-ups et
al, and there are quite a few spares available, but the only heads I
have replaced were due to poor maintenance where valves and head
gaskets have failed.

Suggest you carry out a compression test before going to the expense
of replacement parts and let us know the results, plus any other
details that made you consider a failed head.

HTH

John