Bob D.

Default Trip Report -- Across Lake Michigang

DF I agree with Barry. Your shared your experiences and I feel that
exactly the exchange thats needed so we all can benefit and be better
boaters. In some ways your story reminds me of my first powerboat
expidition. That consisted of my brother and I takin a 16 foot bayliner
cuddy (85 HP outboard) across Lake Erie, up the Detroit river to WIndsor
Ontario.

There are quite a few people who will fire off a smart-ass remark without
giving one iota constructive advice. Some may be socially crippled
individuals who are expressing concern with what you did, but may not be
tactful in their response. Perhaps I fit that label. Some really just
want to show the world how clever they can be. Unfortunately, too many of
those people are turning this group into a pile of sh*t already.

I also think that your mechanical failure could have happened to anyone at
anytime. An extra belt may have saved you some trouble but not everyone
carries redundant everything. Many will argue that the boat should have
had the wearable items replaced, and that may be so. But I don't think
that eliminates any malfunction that could occur oon open water.

But DF, don't let the overall opinion of the responses to your post elude
you.
That general consensus is theat you were grossly ill prepared for your outing.

I don't care how the weather was for weeks before, I don't care how many
boats have crossed Lake Michigan safely with little or no navigational
equipment. It's not an excuse for how ill prepared you were. Things can
happen to delay you, and in that time weather can change. Running across
a known compass heading without charts may be acceptable, but what if you
have to change course (and you did) do you know where your going? Do you
know what dangers are in your path? With your boat did you know you
average fuel consumption/boat range under ideal conditions? Did you know
what it was in less than perfect conditions. Foregoing experience on
your boat and/or information on the region you are boating in (in the form
of charts or GPS) just because the weather is nice is a decission that
will eventually get you in serious trouble if you plan to venture away
from shore with any regularity. Luck *CAN* get you across the lake in a
bath tub, but I'd hate to depend upon it.

Here is my rule of thumb: Be prepared, the longer the course leg I am
traversing over open waters, the more prepared and cautious I will try to
become. This includes, but is not limited to keeping extra equipment,
parts, and provisions (this means food and drink), having a familiarity
of source, destination and places in between, giving myself ample time to
arrive at port, and knowing what my boat is and is not capable of doing.

Even before my first powerboat trip five years ago, I had been a crew
member on a boat on the Great Lakes throughout the majority of my life.
I already had experienced sailing 60 miles from Cleveland to Sandusky
(followed shore hence the distance). Sailed through storms (So during
that twice yearly 60 mile trek).

For this trip I had been traveling on a boat I had used all season. I had
charts, VHF, extra spark plugs, extra gas, and left with twice the
daylight time I needed to reach my destination. I had waypoints
programmed in for every port along the northwest shore of Lake Erie (and
waypoints programmed in for hazzards such as Camp Perry), in case
something went wrong, or I was low on fuel. And that was just traversing
less than 30 miles of open water. As a result we were able to wash up in
the lake, leisurely go up the Detroit, refuel, register with customs, and
tie up a full hour before sunset. Was I prepared for every contingency?
No, but I was probably sufficiently prepared for most things that I have
control over.

Taking safe boating classes online or otherwise is a good start. But it
won't substitute being prepared in other ways. It can't help with the
familiarity of one's vessel, nor will it substitute for experience with
the route you're traversing. I have a few eggheadfriends who honestly
think reading a book or taking a class can fully prepare them for whats
out there, thankfully they've never expressed interest in being more than
a passenger. Don't let the arrogance that comes with completing these
courses set you up for a big problem.

Too many people go out taking the water for granted and assuming nothing
will go wrong only to become a byte on the local news. Do't let that
happen to you. Be proud of your boating accomplishment, but take your
medicine from boaters who care for doing something less than smart, and
learn from it to do better next time. IMHO you seem to have the right
boating spirit, now temper that spirit with a little common sense.

Best of luck!!!

Bob Dimond

P.S. Why Dionysus????

DF,

I enjoyed your story. Hey you took a little risk but you probably learned a
whole lot from your trip and the next one will be a lot easier. Next time
you'll probably have a gps and a spare v-belt as well as other items

that you'd
wished you'd had. Nobody starts out as an expert.

One thing you can count on in this newsgroup is no matter what you do,

somebody
will have advice as to what you did wrong and how they could have done it
better, faster, cheaper and more professionally.

Don't let the negativaty wear you down.

Barry