modervador

Default EFI v.s. NON-EFI OUTBOARD ENGINES

(Rich Stern) wrote in message ...
Based on my experience w/ carb and EFI engines, the EFI will get basically
double the fuel mileage given your not running it wide open all the time.

For example - My Baker w/ a 2.5 carb 240 hp engine would get about 2 mpg on
any given day of riding and playing. My Mirage w/ a 2.5 efi 280 hp engine
would get about 4 mpg on any given day of riding and playing. And it was 4
mph faster.

Seen similar results on pontoons I have had.

--
Tony
My boats and autos -

OK, that answers the question: Differents hulls. Different weight. Different
balance. Different prop. Not a reliable benchmark, IMHO.

-- Rich Stern

Different motors, too.

240 or 280 hp is a lot from 2.5 liters in a "standard" outboard and I
didn't recall any standard outboards matching that description. So I
checked mercurymarine.com and found the 2.5 EFI 280 is a race motor
that burns 92 octane fuel premixed with oil @ 32:1. The biggest 2.5
carb motor for 2003 is 200 hp and not a race motor. I suspect that the
carbed 240 in question was a race motor in earlier years and that
there have been improvements beyond the simple addition of EFI to make
280 hp.

Based on the experiences of others that I have read about in
apples-to-apples comparisons, where they took the same "standard"
motor in carb and EFI versions, the overall imporvment in MPG for the
EFI was slight, not major.

%mod%