Peter Clinch

Default Why is the rudder at the back?

Martin Underwood wrote:

So there are good technical reasons for having the rudder at the back - as I
suspected, but I wondered whether was an element of "we've always done it
this way". I dare say they tried the rudder at the front in early boat
designs and found that it didn't work as well.

Kayakers and canoeists (usually without mounted rudders) will use either
bow or stern rudder strokes according to what works best in that
particular spot. Keeping on line surfing will generally be at the
stern, breaking out (or in) at an eddie will be bow. But ruddered boats
tend to work in more predictable water than places where paddlers will
use ruddering strokes.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital