Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default How about a blister report, Capt. Skippy?

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 11:30:16 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:37:37 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

from a blower we used to use on the alternator
before we figured out what was causing the horrible failure rate

====

I have my own tales of alternator failures, finally resolved. Don't
think I've heard about yours. Our failures were caused by the *very*
large house bank (8 HD golf cart batts in series-parallel), which
appeared to the alternator more or less as a dead short when they were
in need of a serious recharge. The solution was a controlled series
resistance consisting of 10 ft of #4 wire which was just enough to
limit the current inrush to acceptable levels.

Mine was a case of a 1/2" pulley on the alternator when the design was for
3/8, and not using a corrugated belt which would flex at high speeds,
dissipating heat. The mount-twiddling was a mere benefit, rather than just
solution

Went from 10 to 200 hour belt changes, and the 10s were usually catastrophic
(breakage)...

I've recently shortened the belt to get more mileage out of the adjustment,
as the belts I took off weren't worn out, just stretched out.

However, I only have 880AH, and my alternator isn't doing the work; it's
solar and wind, plus occasional application of a Honda eu2000i to the
charger.

Good workaround!

===

I've had good luck with Gates "Green Stripe" belts, available at NAPA
auto parts. 200 hours is still not all that good. There must still
be another issue somewhere. Having experienced any number of belt and
alternator failure modes, I can tell you that a nice clean belt break
is preferable to a whining, squealing burn up which is throwing off
black rubber bits and smoke in the engine compartment.

Our *big* alternator is now a 320 amp Leece-Neville fire truck unit
driven by three belts. It has over 500 hours so far with no belt
changes or signs of premature wear. Even with the current limiting
resistor, the alternator causes the DD 6-71 diesel to audibly grunt
for a split second when I switch in the house bank.