Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default How about a blister report, Capt. Skippy?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:18:38 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

significant refrigeration
failure item to Dick Kollmann for dissection, and so on.

===

I once talked to Dick K regarding some refrigeration advice for our
trawler. I was contemplating the installation of two Adler-Barbour
Cold Machines, one for each of our built in fridges. He didn't think
the A-Bs would be suitable for tropical cruising but three years in
Florida later, including two 6 month cruises to the Carib, they are
still working fine. I believe they use Danfoss BD-50 compressors.
Both units were self installed and I carry everything I need to
service them in case we get stuck somewhere. Having two independant
units gives us a fair amount of redundancy however.

The replacement unit will be a Sea Frost water-enabled (nothing there yet,
but available to hook into the next time we're in the yard) DB50 Air/Water
cooled, with smart controller and thermostat (incorporating a Carel, from
the looks of it) and two 15x19 evaporator plates.

I have every confidence that this will be more than adequate to the task,
especially as I'll vent outside air to the air cooler incoming fan (venting
already in place, ironically, from a blower we used to use on the alternator
before we figured out what was causing the horrible failure rate), which
will blow it over the compressor to cool it, too. If I get the urge, I can
add water cooling to it, and PERHAPS the added amp might be recovered in
shorter run times. However, as I'll have a smart controller, and the pump
will run, regardless, if it's used, running at low speed doesn't get much of
a boost in efficiency. If it works in the tropics, I'll do a nevermind...

L8R, y'all

Skip, with family coming tomorrow and weekend

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson