Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· is offline

Default How about a blister report, Capt. Skippy?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:18:38 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

significant refrigeration
failure item to Dick Kollmann for dissection, and so on.

===

I once talked to Dick K regarding some refrigeration advice for our
trawler. I was contemplating the installation of two Adler-Barbour
Cold Machines, one for each of our built in fridges. He didn't think
the A-Bs would be suitable for tropical cruising but three years in
Florida later, including two 6 month cruises to the Carib, they are
still working fine. I believe they use Danfoss BD-50 compressors.
Both units were self installed and I carry everything I need to
service them in case we get stuck somewhere. Having two independant
units gives us a fair amount of redundancy however.

Those are good units. Even the air-cooled version works well in the
tropics. The key to success seems to be placing the compressor
in a spot that doesn't get hot (don't put it near the engine space)
and can be set up so the cooler air goes in through the little
radiator and the hot air blows out elsewhere.

My Adler Barbour started acting up (cycling off and on with the
compressor running for five to ten seconds to a minute and then
cycling off (as evidenced by the amp draw - the fan kept going).

Turns out there are about six spade connectors going into the
control panel. Some of these had gradually loosened up and were
making poor connections. I pulled them loose (the female side is
on the wire, crimped the female side tighter, applied some dielectric
paste and slid them home. It's worked flawlessly since.

I've experimented with the amount of R-134a and found that a suction
pressure of 7-9 psi results in the best refrigeration vs. amp draw. I've
fitted the suction side with a NAPA injection port for auto A/C that fits
the standard can of R-134a injection hardware and gauges.

--
Sir Gregory