Nick

Default plastic fuel tanks

In article , Andy C
writes
hi there,
this probably seems like a silly question but what is the legal position on
plastic fuel cans ?
i have a 20ltr quicksilver purpose built plastic removeable fuel tank (2 of
them actually) for my outboard, but the jobsworths at the local station
don't let me fill it up because legally petrol can only be stored in max
5ltr cans (no more than 2 of them!) when they are plastic
i looked on the trading standards site and it seems to confirm this -
is this true ? there must be thousands of these 20ltr tanks in the UK, are
they really all illegal?

If they were fixed in the boat like my permanently mounted 80lt tank
then there is no problem. The law applies to portable tanks where the
max (for plastic) is 5lt. Just fill it in your boot and no-one will
mind...

Nick
--
Nick @ noslow . org . uk