John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Smart TVs

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 09:12:08 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 10/15/2013 8:56 AM, True North wrote:
My old Sony Wega Trinitron HD tv finally started acting up. a couple seconds after I turned it on it would shut off.. I had a couple seconds of audio but no picture.
After exploring a couple of self help sites, I decided to move on up to the 21st century and get an LED TV.

Decided on an LG 47" 'Smart TV'
It has multiple USB and HDMI inputs for I can play the series and movies my son downloads on his computer and brings to me on a thumb drive... such as Sons of Anarchy.
I now have it hooked up to my wireless computer router so I can load Netflix, YouTube etc.

It was only $100.00 more than the standard 47" HDTV so I hope it's worth it.
Anyone have suggestions on uses.. so far I haven't found out if I can monitor newsgroups while enjoying network viewing.

Oh yeah.. that old tube style TV that served so well for 8 years... loaded it and the wife's tv on my Mission utility trailer for a last trip to the electronic recycle depot.
That thing weighed 142 pounds... I could feel it in my back the next day.

Years ago we had a CRT (cathode ray tube for the younger crowd) color
studio monitor. No tuner ... that was a separate unit that also allowed
other video inputs. The picture and color on the monitor was absolutely
the best I've ever seen, including all the new plasma, LCD and LED flat
panels. It was not high definition by today's standards but had very
high contrast ... black was really black and the color fidelity was
spectacular. We used it for years until it finally gave up the ghost.
I believe it was made by JVC for network use in TV broadcasting stations.

We've still got an old JVC in the basement that my wife watches while scrapbooking. She's very happy
with it, using rabbit ears, and has no desire for a nice little flat screen.

BTW, if your wife ever says she's taking up scrapbooking to save room by using only the 'best'
pictures, don't believe a word of it.

John H. -- Hope you're having a great day!