Brian Runyard

Default Newbie questions

"Nick" wrote in message
In article , Tony

Kenny
writes

That sounds like the kill switch.

Where would I wire a kill switch up to on the engine? I'd like to
connect maybe both the toggle switch AND the kill wire so if I do fall
out at least my boat wont go crashing into others at speed.

Are you sure it's not wired up? You would soon find out by trying it.

Anyway, it usually is connected to the live feed to the coil (ie the

low
tension side). All the switch does is ground this feed which by default
kills the engine. It is possible that it works differently on different
engines, I'm sure someone else will chip in. I'm only going from
experience on monohull race boats as I had a kill switch fail on me
once. I always thought it was a stupid way of wiring it as a loose
connection means that it won't kill the engine!
--
Nick

In article , Brian Runyard
writes
If you ground the live feed to the coil, you are in effect putting a dead
short across the supply, which sounds very dangerous. Far better for the
switch to open circuit the feed to the coil.

I quite agree. Perhaps it wasn't the coil, but it certainly worked by
grounding something. I know that because when the wire fractured, the
kill switch failed! It was the same on a 75 yam as a 70 Johnson, but
perhaps it was just the way the race boats were built...

I've seen some that ground the Contact Breaker side of the coil.