Bruce in bangkok Bruce in bangkok is offline

Default Maptech Offshore Navigator

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 05:41:17 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Thanks gentlemen; very much appreciated.

I had recently bought and watched the DVD "Convoy, War for the Atlantic", a serious lengthy documentary series produced in England. I'd reccommend it t anyobe both the archive film footage an the information.

Although not mentioned in this documentary, a little known fact is that Malaysia's Penang Island was home to a fleet of long range German submarines that preyed upon Allied shipping during WWII. They shared a Japanese submarine base. Apparently the submariners of both countries despsed each other, inly due to the Germans' arrogance and sense of racial superiority. A private outfit has cleared the overgrown jungle that has hidden most of the site and it is now open to visitore.
Ciao
Peter

When I worked for Petromer Trend in Irian Jaya there was a landing
craft captain - German guy - that had originally come out here to join
a team that were salvaging a German sub sunk somewhere off the West
coast of Malaysia. The boat was supposed to have been carrying mercury
from Japan, or one of their holdings, back to Germany and was sunk - I
don't; know by what.

Apparently they did salvage several tons of mercury and the story he
told was that one of the partners stored his share in a local
warehouse while the other partner moved his to some unknown location.

Some how the newspapers got hold of the "Treasure Hunt" and published
an article about it which resulted, the German said, in hoards of
police, customs, and I don't know who else, descending on the group
and their warehouse and seizing the "treasure" and putting some of the
crew in jail while they sorted things out. The German, being a lowly
diver got told to LEAVE! and so went to Singapore and got a job as
Master of a small trading ship trading between Bangladesh and
Singapore.

Apparently one partner and most of the diving crew ended up with
nothing and the other partner sort of vanished, together with his
share of the mercury :-)
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok