injipoint[_2_] injipoint[_2_] is offline

Default Maptech Offshore Navigator

On 28/09/2013 3:41 PM, wrote:
Thanks gentlemen; very much appreciated.

I had recently bought and watched the DVD "Convoy, War for the Atlantic", a serious lengthy documentary series produced in England. I'd reccommend it t anyobe both the archive film footage an the information.

Although not mentioned in this documentary, a little known fact is that Malaysia's Penang Island was home to a fleet of long range German submarines that preyed upon Allied shipping during WWII. They shared a Japanese submarine base. Apparently the submariners of both countries despsed each other, inly due to the Germans' arrogance and sense of racial superiority. A private outfit has cleared the overgrown jungle that has hidden most of the site and it is now open to visitore.
Ciao
Peter

Like the Japanese and the Russians nowadays.

I have a Russian submarine Commander's cap (brass, too,
not a 2&1/2).

A relative was in a bar in the Kurils. He was USN.
Some Russians from a sub were in there. Some Jap fishermen
arrived. They began a small to-do with the Russkis.
The Russkis wanted to engage so they took off their greatcoats
and caps and handed them to the US guys (neutral observers?)

They then proceeded to beat the **** out of each other until
the Japanese coppers arrived and collared everyone.

Seeing as the Russians were not reachable for the foreseeable,
my relative (distant) ended up with the coat and cap.

I ended up with the cap.

i actually put it on one day on my base and walked along a
Los Angeles class with the usual Marine on guard. He didn't even
notice. People see whole images, detail gets lost until you
need to go back and examine it. He just saw a normal RAN Officer and
not the Russian high-peak cap with the Hammer and Sickle on it.
I took it off pretty quick after we did that - impersonating a senior
officer etc. Not sure what **** I could have got in.