Bruce in bangkok Bruce in bangkok is offline

Default Maptech Offshore Navigator

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 23:15:23 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi Vic,

I am curious as to the origin of "flank speed".
,,
I have never heard of it before and though Wikipedia defines it, there is no reference to the origin o the tem.

Cheers
Peter

From
www.history.navy.mil

Flank Speed
One quarter more than standard speed except for cruisers, destroyers,
light mine layers and fast aircraft carriers. In cruisers, destroyers,
light mine layers and fast aircraft carriers it is ten knots more than
standard speed.

This is certainly a U.S. term but I don't know whether the royal navy
uses the term or not.... so you have an excuse :-)
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok