posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Maptech Offshore Navigator

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 15:39:30 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

I don't care for that AIS nonsense, myself. I've ridden motorcycles
and bicycles my whole life and I've survived intact mostly because
my philosophy is that nobody ever sees me so I have to take full
responsibility for avoiding all the idiots. I can't rely on them to even
be aware of me. AIS is like that. It won't work unless the shipping
sees me and they don't pay attention to something so small that
it represents no danger to them.

===

The price on AIS equipment keeps coming down and will no doubt go even
lower. My new VHF cost only a tad over $300 and West Marine is now
offering a class B transponder for $560.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=795855#.UkM-kxDpyl8

http://www.boatersland.com/standard-matrix-ais-gx2150.html