posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats
Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· is offline

Default Maptech Offshore Navigator

" Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·" åke wrote in message
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 17:08:15 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

I've got this Maptech marine navigation program - have had it for years

http://www.maptechnavigation.com/wat...ator/index.cfm

And, I've got tons of charts, aerial photos etc. It's all installed on my
laptop but my laptop doesn't have built-in GPS so I bought a USB
GPS that works great so now my laptop is a fancy chart/plotter.

Maptech charts are available for all over the world but one must pay
dearly for them. (more on this later)

This is the USB GPS that I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-3.../dp/B008200LHW

It initializes very fast and wasn't any trouble to install the drivers and
configure the com port info so the Offshore Navigator software can
recognize and utilize it.

Now for my question. Does anybody know what, if any, other charts
besides Maptech charts the Offshore Navigator software can use?
Preferably free charts like the one's NOAA offers.

===

Check out the OpenCPN web site. There is a lot of information there
on electronic charts. You might also decide that you like OpenCPN
(free). It is much more up to date than the older Maptech OSN
versions - tide and current info for example, plus a very decent AIS
implementation.

http://opencpn.org/ocpn/

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Update. I've downloaded and installed it and it's pretty cool. I also
downloaded ALL the free NOAA Vector charts for Florida. I like
the fact that they are updated weekly. So now I have all the Raster
charts for Florida and all the updated Vector charts. They even show
in night time colors. There is a row of boxes on the bottom probably
15 or so of them and each one displays a different chart. The green
ones are the Vector official navigation charts and the gray ones are
the older Raster Charts. I might have delete all those older Raster
charts out of the designated folder and download all the updated
Raster charts from NOAA.

The help files indicate that the program can use quite a few
different electronic chart formats so I'll be searching for all
charts for areas I might sail to. There are even up to date pilot
charts of blue water sailing that I've got to download and place
in the designated folder.

It was easy to configure the GPS com port so I've even got it set
up with the USB GPS already.

Kewl! Thanks again. Do you use it yourself when cruising?

--
Sir Gregory